2013-09-01 09:10:20 - Fast Market Research recommends "South Africa Shipping Report Q3 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Growth at South African ports is threatened by the global headwinds that are posing challenges for the country as a whole, namely the eurozone crisis and the China slowdown. However, with continued investment in facilities, growth in private final consumption, and ever-expanding coal exports, we forecast growth in both total tonnage and container volumes in 2013.
Headline Industry Data
* Richards Bay Port tonnage throughput in 2013 is forecast to increase by 6.2%. Over the medium term we project a 5.3% average annual increase.
* Port of Durban container throughput is forecast to grow by 0.9% in 2013. Growth will average 4.7% per annum in the medium-term forecast period to 2017.
* 2013 total trade growth is forecast at 3.8%, and
to average 4.6% per annum to 2017.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/670693_south_africa_shipping_report_q3_2013. ..
Key Industry Trends
Transnet Expansion Plan Belies Funding Woes: Projects continue to emerge from Transnet's expansive capital expenditure plans, which are set to provide massive opportunities in South Africa's construction market but the plans hinge on Transnet's ability to secure financing. Whilst the company has considerable cash assets, at least ZAR87bn will need to be raised from external sources. Currently only ZAR3.6bn has been raised this year, leaving a substantial funding gap.
Hamburg Sud To Launch SABR Service From July: German shipping company Hamburg Sud will offer a new fixed-day, fortnightly service between South Africa and Argentina and Brazil (SABR Service) from July 21. The service, which will be operated in cooperation with Nile Dutch, will call at Durban, Port Elizabeth, Buenos Aires, Rio Grande, Itajai, Santos and Rio de Janeiro. Additional destinations in South America, North America and Europe will be served on a trans-shipment basis.
Avedia Receives First Set Of LPG Storage Tanks: South Africa-based Avedia Energy received the first consignment of four liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) storage tanks in June, which will be installed at the Western Cape's storage facility at the port of Saldanah. The tanks were manufactured in China and are part of the initial phase of the plant commissioning.
Key Risks To Outlook
The key threats to our outlook for South Africa's shipping sector are external. South Africa is acutely exposed to the global headwinds facing the world economy, in particular the eurozone crisis and the China slowdown.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Port Of Durban Throughput
- Port Of Richards Bay Throughput
- Table: South Africa's Major Port Data, 2010-2017
- Table: South Africa's Trade Overview, 2010-2017
- Table: South Africa's Key Trade Indicators, 2010-2017
- Table: South Africa's Main Import Partners, 2004-2011
- Table: South Africa's Main Export Partners, 2004-2011
- South Africa Container Shipping Market Overview
Industry Trends And Developments
South Africa Company Profile
- Deutsche Afrika-Linien (DAL)
Shipping - Global Industry View
- Demand: Slow Start To 2013
- Supply: Capacity To Outweigh Demand Uptick
- Table: Top 20 Container Line Newbuild Plans
- Rates: Alarm Bells Sounding
- Table: 2012 And 2013 SCFI Europe Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview, Q112-Q113
- Table: 2012 And 2013 SCFI USWC Base Port Average Freight Rate Overview, Q112-Q113
Liquid Shipping - Global Industry View
- Baltic Dirty Tanker Index Under Pressure
- VLCCs Outlook
- Bloomber Tanker Index story
- Product Tankers
Dry Bulk Shipping - Global Industry View
- Demand : Stimulus Benefit Dries Up, Tough Outlook Ahead
- Supply: Fleet Expansion Slowing, But Overcapacity Still The Key Worry
- Table: Dry Bulk Vessel Class Overview
- Table: Turkey's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Turkey's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of population)
- Table: Turkey's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Turkey's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Global Company Strategy
- Maersk Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Company
- CMA CGM
- Evergreen Line
- COSCO Container Lines Company
- Macroeconomic Forecast
- Table: Real GDP Growth, % chg q-o-q, SAAR
- Table: South Africa - Economic Activity
- Table: South Africa's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: South Africa's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: South Africa's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: South Africa's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.