2013-03-23 08:26:17 - Fast Market Research recommends "Romania Tourism Report Q2 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
This quarter BMI has revised and restructured its tourism reports, incorporating a greater range of data and focusing on the hotel industry, the value of the tourism industry itself, and the impact of macroeconomic factors.
The ongoing economic uncertainty in Europe is having an effect on the domestic tourism industry in Romania. However, there is still a great deal of investment potential in Romania, for large tourist industries - particularly global hotel groups. Equally BMI believed that rising incomes across the wider CEE region are having a positive impact on the Romanian tourism sector, and will continue to do so over the medium term.
Romania's tourist industry showed reasonable growth in 2012. Data from Romania's National Institute of Statistics, released in February
2013, showed that foreign visitor numbers grew by 4.3% over 2012, to reach 7,936,700. This was just above BMI's forecast of a 3.2% increase in arrivals.
Full Report Details at
An overview of Romania's Top 10 inbound tourism markets highlights the fact that Europe (both west and east) will remain its main source of tourism. All of the top 10 markets are European, with four from Western Europe (Germany, Italy, Austria and France) and six from Central and Eastern Europe (Hungary, Moldova, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Turkey and Poland). This reflects Romania's location within south eastern Europe, with good air and other transport links to both east and west.
Much of the CEE region is currently booming and various tourist industries, particularly the large global hotel chains, are looking towards the CEE region now as they see it as a potentially lucrative market. A large part of this growth will be seen in intra-CEE tourism, and Romania's tourism arrivals reflect this. Higher disposable incomes from Russia and other former states of the Soviet Union should also lead to increased outbound tourism demand for CEE countries such as Romania over the medium term.
BMI believes that the number of hotels and other accommodation establishments in Romania will continue to increase across our newly-extended forecast period to 2017. The CEE region is currently perceived as offering extremely attractive investment opportunities for hotel groups and other tourist-related industries - largely due to rising domestic tourism and regional tourism, supported by an increase in higher disposable incomes.
* Among new hotel openings scheduled for 2013/14 are Hilton's 109-room Hampton by Hilton Cluj- Napoca in Cluj (set to open by end H113) and Marriott's 147-room Courtyard by Marriott Bucharest (set to open early 2014).
* French hotel group Accor has announced plans to open up to 10 of its MGallery brand properties in Romania over the coming years, with the company hopeful it can sign its first local partner - either via franchise or management agreement - later in 2013. Accor is reportedly looking at buying and rebranding existing properties in Bucharest, Sibiu and Brasov, with the company potentially looking to open between 5-10 hotels
* Towards the end of our forecast period, Starwood Hotels & Resorts is scheduled to open its first Romanian property, the 202-room Sheraton Cluj. This hotel will form part of the delayed Sigma Towers project, with Sheraton also reportedly offering 110 residential apartments as part of the accommodation offering.
* Outbound air traffic looks set for good growth over our forecast period to 2017, rising from 3.58mn in 2013, to 3.91mn in 2017.
* Despite this, due to the vast potential and booming industries across the CEE, this quarter, BMI has given Romania an overall Tourism Industry Risk/Reward rating of 43.35, putting it in last position for the region.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Inbound Tourism
- Table: Romania, Inbound Tourism 2010-2017
- Table: Romania Inbound Tourism, Top 10 markets by arrivals, 2010-2017
- Outbound Tourism
- Table: Romania Outbound Tourism, 2010-2017
- Table: Romania Outbound Tourism, Top 10 destinations by departures, 2010-2017
- Table: Romania International Tourism Receipts for Transport and Travel, 2010-2017
- Table: Romania, Methods of Tourist Travel, 2010-2017
- Table: Romania, Hotel Accommodation, 2010-2017
- Table: Table: Hotels and Restaurants Industry Value. 2010-2017
- Economic Outlook
- Table: Romania - Balance Of Payments (euro)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Tourism Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: CEE Tourism Risk Reward Ratings
- Romania Security Risks
- Table: Global Hotel Group Presence in Romania
- Table: Romania Transport Infrastructure Projects - Airports
- SIF Transilvania
Global Industry Overview
- Table: Global Tourism Indicators, International Tourist Arrivals, 2009-2017
- Table: global tourism indicators, hotel and establishment units, 2009-2017
- Table: Global Sporting Calendar, 2013-2022
- Table: Global Assumptions
- Table: Global & Regional Real GDP Growth, % chg y-o-y
- Table: Developed States - Real GDP Growth Forecasts, %
- Table: Emerging Markets - Real GDP Growth Forecasts, %
- Table: BMI VERSUS BLOOMBERG CONSENSUS REAL GDP GROWTH FORECASTS (%)
- Demograpic Outlook
- Table: Romania's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Romania's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Romania's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Romania's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Tourism Industry
- Tourism Ratings - Methodology
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.