2013-12-24 21:04:53 - New Financial Services market report from Business Monitor International: "Singapore Insurance Report Q1 2014"
Conventional wisdom might suggest that Singapore's insurance segment is mature. In practice, substantial opportunities for growth remain - especially in the sophisticated life segment and in offshore property & casualty reinsurance.
Key Insights And Key Risks
As of late 2013, BMI's view of Singapore's insurance segment is broadly the same as it was one year ago -or five. In world terms, Singapore ranks as a medium-sized market for insurance that, in spite of being well developed by most metrics, will likely grow quite rapidly during the forecast period. There are essentially three components to the sector. The first is a mature domestic non-life business - the Singapore insurance funds - in which premiums are growing at single digit rates. The second is
a rapidly developing offshore non-life insurance business. The non-life insurers who are operating in/through Singapore are significant beneficiaries of the overall economic growth of South East Asia. The third is the dynamic life insurance segment, which has much in common with its counterpart in Hong Kong.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754667_singapore_insurance_report_q1_2014.as ..
In both city-states, life insurance premiums continue to grow strongly thanks to 'demand-related' and 'supply-related' factors. High income levels, high savings rates, widespread understanding of the benefits of life insurance, and low interest rates from bank deposits, all ensure that the demand for life insurance products continues to flourish. The importance of both Hong Kong and Singapore as regional business centres also underpins demand for group life products. Supply comes mainly from the local subsidiaries of world-class multi-national insurance companies. In both cases, the leading player is the subsidiary of a leading local commercial bank - HSBC Insurance in the case of Hong Kong and OCBC's Great Eastern in the case of Singapore. However, although both HSBC Insurance and Great Eastern would rank as extremely substantial life insurers in any market, they do not exercise crushing domination of their respective life segments. There remains the opportunity for other life companies to develop businesses through the introduction of innovative new products and/or focused distribution strategies.
The life insurance companies that have commented on their results in 2012-13 have indicated that there have been a number of growth drivers. Bancassurance is expanding very rapidly. Many of the insurers are enlarging their agency forces - or are taking steps to boost agent productivity. Some of the players are introducing innovative new products. Group life products have been becoming more popular. For promoters of unit-linked products, volatility in global financial markets is more of a challenge than it was when we last reviewed Singapore's insurance sector three months ago. Over the long-term, the insurers have to also deal with low/falling interest rates.
The development of the non-life segment will depend partially on consumer confidence and partially on the desire of corporate planners at multinational companies to move operations to Singapore, in order to take advantage of the excellent business environment. Global reinsurers already dominate the offshore insurance funds of the non-life segment.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Table: Singapore Total Premiums, 2010-2017
- Business Environment
- Table: Singapore Total Life Premiums, 2010-2017
- Table: Singapore Total Non-Life Premiums, 2010-2017
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Asia Pacific Industry Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings
- Singapore Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Singapore's Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings
- Life Sector Update
- Non-Life Sector Update
Industry Trends And Developments
- Life Growth Drivers And Risk Management Projections
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Demographics 2010-2017
- Non-Life Growth Drivers And Risk Management Projections
- Macroeconomic Forecast
- Table: Singapore - Economic Activity
- Political Stability Outlook
- Table: Asia Pacific Regional Security Ratings
- Healthcare Sector
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Disease Adjusted Life Years, 2010-2017
- Table: Insurance Key Drivers, Autos, 2010-2017
- Asia Pacific Competitive Landscape
- AIA Group
- American International Group (AIG)
- Great Eastern
- HSBC Insurance
- Manulife Financial
- NTUC Income
- Prudential plc
- Sun Life Financial
- Zurich Insurance Group
- Asia Life Sector Overview
- Table: Asia Pacific Life Premiums, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Asia Non-Life Sector Overview
- Table: Asia Pacific's Non Life Premiums, 2010-2017 (US$mn)
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Singapore's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Singapore's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Singapore's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Singapore's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Rating Methodology
- Table: Insurance Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.