2013-11-02 09:10:13 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "South Africa Defence & Security Report Q4 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
The deaths of 34 miners at the Marikana platinum mine northwest of Johannesburg in August 2012 during a protest over pay highlighted the risk to South African stability posed by such socio-economic issues as income inequality, not to mention the ability of the security services to deal proportionately with mass unrest. For the time being, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) appears capable of keeping a lid on these national tensions. However, this cannot be taken for granted in the long term.
Socio-economic priorities mean that the government is unlikely to deliver large funding increases to the South African National Defence Force (SANDF). The government has already revealed defence spending plans for the next three years which envisage some growth in
the defence budget. However, these increases are not nearly enough to enable the SANDF to meet its procurement and personnel targets, analysts are warning.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/698120_south_africa_defence_security_report_ ..
The government's Defence Review, delivered in April 2012 presents a timely opportunity for South Africa to think seriously about its defence posture. Essentially, it either needs to properly fund the ambitious regional involvements that the government has currently committed the SANDF to, or, it needs to scale back the military's commitments so that they match existing funding levels. The drain on skilled personnel within the SANDF has also been identified as a mounting crisis.
Over the last quarter BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
* Updated information regarding several of South Africa's leading defence contractors.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- South Africa Defence SWOT
- South Africa Security SWOT
- Business Environment
- Defence Expenditure
- Table: Defence Expenditure
- Table: Defence Expenditure Scenario - Changing % Of GDP, 2010-2017 (USDmn)
- Armed Forces
- Table: Armed Forces ('000 personnel, unless otherwise stated)
- Table: Manpower Available For Military Service, 2010-2017 (aged 16-49 unless otherwise stated)
- Defence Trade
- Macroeconomic Forecast
- Table: Real GDP Growth, % chg q-o-q, SAAR
- Table: South Africa - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- MENA Security Risk Ratings
- Table: Middle East And Africa Regional Security Ratings
- Table: Middle East And Africa State Vulnerability To Terrorism Index
- South Africa Security Risk Ratings
- South Africa Defence Market Overview
- Armed Forces and Government Spending
- Industry Trends and Developments
- Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Arms Trade Overview
- South Africa Security Overview
- Domestic Threats
- Regional Threats
- Table: US Combat Operations In Africa
- International Threats
- BAE Systems Land Systems South Africa
- Saab Grintek Defence
- Thales South Africa
- Middle East and Africa Security Overview
Global Industry Overview
- Global Political Outlook
- Defence Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.