2012-08-31 03:58:05 - New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Sri Lanka Telecommunications Report Q4 2012"
BMI View: The Sri Lankan telecommunications market is comparatively more mature than other countries in South Asia in terms of mobile penetration rates. Further, it was able to offer 3G services in 2007, unlike Bangladesh and Pakistan, which are still struggling to auction licences. However, the country's ability to fulfil its potential has been hampered by the civil war, although the private and public sectors are aggressively investing in the reconstruction and expansion process.
* The mobile sector experienced stronger-than-expected growth in Q112, which was slightly lower than the net additions in Q211, Q311 and Q411 combined.
* Our mobile forecasts have been revised upwards. We now envisage 25mn subscribers by end- 2016, a penetration rate of 114%.
Broadband forecasts have been upgraded in light of strong consumer demand for mobile solutions.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451321_sri_lanka_telecommunications_report_q ..
Key Trends And Developments
Mobitel announced in June 2012 that it had successfully completed its network expansion drive. According to the plan, the operator has increased the number of its 2G and 3G base stations by more than 1,000 sites. The move has enabled Mobitel to emerge as a dominant operator servicing the north and east. The operator has revealed plans to further expand its network, claiming that its stations are now LTEready.
Hutchison Telecommunication Lanka became the fifth and final mobile operator in Sri Lanka to launch 3G services, almost six years since it obtained a licence to do so. Initial services are only available in the Western province including the capital Colombo, but Hutchison plans to provide nationwide coverage by July, with 1,000 base transceiver stations. The launch of 3G services came shortly after Hutchison entered the Sri Lankan postpaid market in late-July 2011, which we believe indicates the operator's intention of increasing its small market share.
Sri Lanka remained in 18th position in BMI's Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings Q412 with a Telecoms Rating score of 36.6. In line with our downbeat view on the Sri Lankan economy, Q112's headline growth figure showed real GDP growth slowing for the second consecutive quarter to 7.9% y-oy. Despite the still-respectable headline print, we highlight that the figure masked the substantial weakness of the country's services sector, whose growth plunged at the start of 2012. Crucially, leading indicators continue to paint a bleak outlook for the economy and we expect further domestic policy tightening and Europe's ongoing economic malaise to continue to present major headwinds in 2012.
Report Table of Contents:
- Sri Lanka Wireline (Fixed-Line And Broadband) SWOT
- Sri Lanka Mobile SWOT
- Sri Lanka Political SWOT
- Sri Lanka Economic SWOT
- Sri Lanka Business Environment SWOT
- Asia Pacific Q412
- Table: Asia Pacific Telecoms Risk/Reward Ratings Q412
- Sri Lanka
- Table: Sri Lanka Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2016
- Table: BMI Telecoms - Blended Mobile ARPU - Historical Data And Forecasts (LKR), 2009-2016
- Fixed Line
- Table: Sri Lanka Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2016
- Table: Sri Lanka Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data And Forecasts, 2009-2016
- Regional Perspective
- Sri Lanka Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2011
- Key Developments
- Mobile Growth
- Market Shares
- Title: Sri Lanka Mobile Market Net Additions ('000), 2010-2012
- Usage (ARPU & MOU)
- Mobile Content/Value-Added Services
- Value-Added Services Timeline
- Table: Selected VAS Services
- Mobile Operator Data
- Sri Lanka Mobile Market Overview
- Table: Dialog Axiata
- Table: Mobitel
- Table: Etisalat Lanka
- Table: Airtel Sri Lanka
- Table: Sri Lanka - Hutchison Lanka
- Mobile Content
- Regional Outlook
- Table: Selected NFC Developments, 2011
- Fixed Line
- Table: Sri Lanka Fixed-Line Market, Q411
- Provincial Fixed-Line Markets
- Provincial Distribution of Fixed-Line Phones, Q112
- Internet and Broadband
- Wireline (Fixed-Line And Broadband) Developments
- Table: Wireline Developments, 2009-2012
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Market Developments
- Table: Sri Lanka: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Table: Licences Granted Under S.17, Sri Lanka Telecommunications Act 1991 (as amended)
- Key Players
- Table: Key Players - Sri Lanka Telecoms Sector
- Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT)
- Hutchison Lanka
- Dialog Axiata
- Regional Overview
- Altobridge: Connecting Remote Communities
- Altobridge Commercial Deployments
- Sri Lanka's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Sri Lanka's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Sri Lanka's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Sri Lanka's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Table: Key Indicators For Telecommunications Industry Forecasts
- Telecoms Business Environment Ratings
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Ratings System
- Table: Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.