2012-08-31 03:55:52 - Fast Market Research recommends "Taiwan Consumer Electronics Report Q3 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: We expect the Taiwan consumer electronics market will grow by around 3% in 2012, with demand affected by supply-side constraints and an uncertain economic outlook. Due to Hard-Disk Drive shortages resulting from the Thailand floods in late 2011, Taiwan PC market sales slid into negative growth territory in Q411. Meanwhile, after slipping into a technical recession in Q411, we believe that Taiwan's economy is set to face further weakness, especially in the H112However, demand for certain high-end product categories including smartphones and LED and 3D TV sets should help to drive growth. Smartphones accounted for above 50% of handset shipments in 2011, while LED TV sets comprised about 20% of LCD TV set sales in and will continue
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer sales: US$5.0bn in 2011 to US$5.1bn in 2012, +2% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to analyst modification and tablets are expected to provide a growth area in 2012.
* AV sales: US$1.6bn in 2011 to US$1.7bn in 2012, +4% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised due to analyst modification, with the main driver being production innovation such as smart and 3D flat-screen TV sets.
* Handset sales: US$1.7bn in 2011 to US$1.8bn in 2012, +10% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms upwardly revised after strong growth in smartphone sales.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451400_taiwan_consumer_electronics_report_q3 ..
Risk/Reward Rating: Taiwan's score was 60.7 out of 100.0, with high Country Risk and Market Risk scores compensating for a relatively small market size. Taiwan was in 6th place in our latest Asia CE RRR table, ranking behind Hong Kong and Singapore, but ahead of regional tech peers South Korea and Malaysia.
Key Trends & Developments
* The Taiwan government had selected a target date of July 1 2012 for shutting down analogue broadcasting in Taiwan. This deadline was forecast to push up flat-screen TV set sales over the intervening period. The share of LCD TV sets has gradually declined, to as low as 40% by some estimates, owing to growing sales of LED-backlit, 3D and 'smart TV' models. Most households have already bought a flat-screen TV, and as the market matures, manufacturers will attempt to sustain growth by introducing new products and features.
* In H112, the Taiwan PC market was forecast to be affected by parts shortages, resulting from the Thai floods of late 2011. Thailand is the world's largest producer of hard-disk drives, and the natural disaster there led to supply bottlenecks in the global PC industry chain. This caused Taiwan PC sales to slip into negative growth territory in Q411, and in H112 sales are expected to be down by around 3-4% year-on-year (y-o-y) before picking up in H212.
* Annual smartphone shipments were expected to reach 4mn in 2011 as service tariffs came down, continuing the trend of 2010. Mobile services providers are now offering smartphones at a broad range of price points, which has enabled deeper penetration of the devices. Population penetration of mobile phones is estimated at around 90%, and smartphones at below 30%, with the potential for growth.
Report Table of Contents:
- Taiwan Consumer Electronics Market SWOT
- Taiwan Electronics Industry SWOT
- Taiwan Political SWOT
- Taiwan Economic SWOT
- Taiwan Business Environment SWOT
Asia Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific Consumer Electronics Risk/Reward Ratings, Q312
Consumer Electronics Market
- Table: Computers: Demand, 2009-2016
- AV Devices
- Table: AV: Demand, 2009-2016
- Mobile Handsets
- Table: Handsets: Demand, 2009-2016
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Consumer Electronics Overview, 2009-2016
- Government Authority
- Table: Taiwan - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- Table: Major PC Makers Sales - March 2009
- AV Devices
- Table: LCD TV Brand Sales Goals in Taiwan for 2011
- Mobile Handsets
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC)
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Consumer Electronics And Electronics Industry
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.