2013-03-01 16:49:20 - New Computer Technology research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Thai IT spending is expected to reach US$7.5bn in 2013, up 10%, with BMI downwardly revising its forecast, following a dip in PC sales in Q312. Meanwhile, cloud computing, social networking, applications, ultrabooks and tablets are all helping to derive demand for IT products and services. The PC market dipped into negative growth territory in Q212 but a national PC penetration rate of around 20% indicates plenty of untapped market potential. BMI forecasts that the fastest growth will be in upcountry areas, where 80% of Thai people live. Currently around 70% of the Thai IT market is accounted for by Bangkok, but new IT malls are opening across the country. Meanwhile, data proliferation is being driven by an expanding range
of devices, including tablets and smartphones, and is fuelling spending on business intelligence and database solutions.
Headline Expenditure Projections
Computer hardware sales: US$4.2bn in 2012 to US$4.5bn in 2013, +7% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification but tablets are expected to provide a growth area in 2013, with volume sales surpassing those of desktops.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/541281_thailand_information_technology_repor ..
Software sales: US$893mn in 2012 to US$1.0bn in 2013, +14% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms downwardly revised due to analyst modification but key drivers of enterprise IT budgets include the proliferation of mobile devices.
IT Services sales: US$1.8bn in 2012 to US$2.0bn in 2013, +14.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast in US dollar terms unchanged with government initiatives helping to drive development of the cloud services market.
Key Trends & Developments
Risk/Reward Rating: Thailand's score was 39.9 out of 100.0. It ranked 10th in the Asia region in our latest RRR table, ahead of Indonesia, but behind the Philippines and Malaysia. The country's overall ranking was brought down by a relatively low Country Risk score.
Government will be in the vanguard of driving cloud computing adoption in Thailand, which was expected to grow at 200-300% in 2012, albeit from a low base. In 2012, the government launched its cloud computing service, with a three-month pilot expected to be followed by national implementation.
* The government has also initiated a serious drive to encourage SMEs to take advantage of cloud computing cost efficiencies to increase their utilisation of IT. Meanwhile, in 2012 government agency Software Park Thailand announced a partnership on cloud computing with a number of local companies, including subsidiaries of telcos True and TOT.
BMI has included tablets in its Thai PC market forecast for the first time, as they were expected to be a major growth driver for IT hardware in 2012, with potential growth of 400%. BMI's forecast does not include the 800,000 tablets the government plans to distribute to schools. As sales of tablets grow, this will constrain shipments of desktops, but notebook sales should continue to grow.
Report Table of Contents:
- Thailand IT Sector SWOT
- Thailand Political SWOT
- Thailand Economic SWOT
- Thailand Business Environment SWOT
Asia Pacific IT Risk/Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific IT Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
Asia Pacific IT Markets Overview
- IT Penetration
- Government Authority
- Industry Developments
- Table: Thailand IT Industry - Historical Data And Forecasts (US$mn unless otherwise stated), 2010-2017
Industry Forecast Internet
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts, 2010-2017
- IT Services
- Wireline (Fixed-Line And Broadband) Developments
- Table: Wireline Developments, 2009
- Microsoft Corporation
- Hana Microelectronics
- Table: Thailand's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Thailand's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Thailand's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Thailand's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- IT Industry
- IT Ratings - Methodology
- Table: IT Business Environment Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Components
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.