2013-12-29 19:55:56 - New Computer Technology research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
The overall outlook for Thailand's IT market is positive, with CAGR forecast at 10.4% during 2013-2017. We forecast the value of the market will increase to THB359bn in 2017, increasing as a share of GDP as consumers and enterprises divert a larger portion of their budgets to IT products and services.
Our positive outlook is based on several factors, including investments in telecoms networks, the declining prices of hardware devices and growth in key product categories including tablets, cloud computing, big data analytics, real-time business management systems and enterprise software adoption among SMEs. However, in the short term market growth will be constrained by a slowdown in economic growth, with low consumer confidence and high household debt weighing on expenditure.
- www.fastmr.com/prod/754677_thailand_information_technology_repor ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Computer Hardware Sales: THB134.7bn in 2012 to THB149.9bn in 2013, with CAGR of 8.4% 2013-2017. The decline in desktop and notebook shipments, in part the result of cannibalisation of sales by low-cost tablets, is limiting growth of market value.
* Software Sales: THB28.5bn in 2012 to THB32.0bn in 2017, and CAGR of 12.3% 2013-2017. Key drivers will be enterprise IT investments, particularly among SMEs that are looking to control costs and achieve scale.
* IT Services Sales: THB55.9bn in 2012 to THB66.2bn in 2013, and CAGR of 13.9% 2013-2017. IT services is expected to be the outperforming segment of the IT market, with rapid utilisation of cloud computing services boosting growth of the market.
Key Trends & Developments
Thailand's hardware market has developed quickly over the past decade, with PC penetration rising despite economic difficulties following the global financial crisis. The medium-term outlook remains bright due to household PC penetration only reaching 26.9% in 2012 (as compared to 80-90% in the most developed markets). However in 2013 volumes of desktop and notebook shipments declined due to a challenging economic environment and cannibalisation by tablets. Tablets are taking market share from desktop and notebook vendors in 2013, especially low-cost tablets from Chinese manufacturers, but we expect an interesting battle will occur between the laptop, tablet and ultrabook/hybrid models in 2014 as consumers seek a mix of mobility and functionality.
While the outlook for the hardware market is mixed, the cloud computing market has become the outstanding feature of the market. Local telecoms operators are moving quickly to capture positions in the market, for instance, in June 2013 True Corporation announced it expects to generate sales of THB300-500mn from cloud services in 2013 by targeting the enterprise market via collaborations with firms including Cisco, VMware and Symantec. The cloud computing market in Thailand is also attracting leading global providers, for instance, in June 2013 NTT Communications agreed to acquire a 74% stake in Thailand's Digital Port Asia Limited, a local data centre provider, as part of its strategy to expand its data centre portfolio across the region. Additionally, Digital Port is expanding further and will open a new data centre in June 2014 in the Amata Industrial Park in Bangkok, offering access to major local and international businesses.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Thailand IT Industry - Historical Data And Forecasts (THBmn)
- Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Thailand - Economic Activity
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Table: Asia Pacific IT Risk/Reward Ratings - Q1 2014
Industry Trends And Developments
- Table: Telecom Operator Start-Up Programmes
- Table: IT Regulatory Authority
- Regulatory Developments
- International Companies
- Table: Acer
- Table: NTT Communications
- Table: Seagate
- Local Companies
- Table: SiS Distribution
- Hana Microelectronics
- Table: Hana Financial Performance By Plant And Activity (THBmn)
- Hardware Sales Opportunity Remains
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Thailand's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Thailand's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Thailand's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Thailand's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk Reward Rating Methodology
- Table: It Risk Reward Rating Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Components
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.