2013-12-08 17:43:01 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Despite a challenging pricing and reimbursement situation, BMI still believes the market is attractive in the long term as higher y-o-y growth rates return from 2013/14. In contrast to European markets where manufacturers can expect to achieve higher prices, but with a stagnant growth outlook, Turkey offers strong growth potential if drugmakers are able to accept a price that is considerably below the European average and turn a profit on the low margins available.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: TRY16.39bn (US$9.11bn) in 2012 to TRY17.16bn (US$8.89bn) in 2013; +4.7% in local currency and -2.4% US dollar terms. Local currency forecast unchanged from previous quarter. * * Healthcare: TRY96.98bn (US$53.88bn) in 2012 to TRY109.66bn (US$56.82bn) in 2013; +13.1% in local currency and
+5.5% US dollar terms. Local currency forecast broadly unchanged from previous quarter.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/723626_turkey_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_rep ..
Turkey's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) score for Q114 is 56.5, down from 58 in the previous quarter. Turkey's comparative ranking remains unchanged. The country is again ranked the fifth most attractive business environment out of the 20 markets surveyed in Emerging Europe. Turkey's large drug market, coupled with the sector's long-term growth potential, means that the country scores relatively well for rewards in spite of a slight downward adjustment to our appraisal for this quarter. In terms of risks, several rounds of pricing reforms mean that the country scores closer to the regional average.
Key Trends And Developments
* In August 2013, Russian biotechnology company Biocad signed a definitive agreement with Turkish pharmaceutical company Kocak Pharma. Under the terms of the agreement, Kocak Pharma will gain exclusive rights to supply Biocad's biosimilar version of Roche's cancer drug MabThera (rituximab) in Turkey for five years. MabThera is used to treat B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in adults. Kocak Pharma will be also be responsible for providing data required to register the drug. Kocak will supply Biocad's drug in Turkey under its own brand name.
* In October 2013 it was announced that the Turkish health ministry planned to introduce a new drug pricing list due to the recent shortage of drugs in the country, according to Hakki Gursoz, the vice-president of Economic Research from the Turkish Medicines and Medical Devices Agency of the Ministry of Health. The new drug list is scheduled to be introduced by end-2013.
BMI Economic View: Although the short-term outlook has improved, we remain fundamentally bearish on Turkey's medium term economic growth potential relative to consensus expectations. While credit growth will prop up private consumption over the short term, an erosion of consumer purchasing power will prevent stronger gains. The Turkish lira remains 13.5% below its 2013 peak against the US dollar, contributing to core inflation surging from 5.4% year-on-year (y-o-y) in April to 7.0% in September. With the CBRT easing policy rates once again, we do not foresee any period of sustained appreciation, implying imported price pressures will keep headline consumer price inflation elevated while straining the balance sheets of domestic firms.
BMI Political View: The "democratisation package" announced by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan makes historic strides in extending religious and ethnic freedoms. However, the package has been widely criticised by all major opposition parties and it is unlikely to alleviate growing political and social divisions in the country or significantly advance a fragile peace process with the Kurdistan Workers Party.
Partial Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Turkey Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Turkey Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Turkey Government Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Table: Turkey Private Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Prescription Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Turkey Prescription Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Patented Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Turkey Patented Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data and Forecasts
- Generic Drug Market Forecast
- Table: Turkey Generic Drug Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- OTC Medicine Market Forecast
- Table: Turkey Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicine Market Indicators, Historical Data And Forecasts
- Pharmaceutical Trade
- Table: Turkey Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (US$mn)
- Table: Turkey Pharmaceutical Trade Data And Forecasts (TRYmn)
- Key Risks To BMI's Forecast Scenario
- Economic Analysis
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Central And Eastern Europe Risk/Reward Ratings
- Turkey Risk/Reward Ratings
Industry Trends And Developments
- Healthcare Sector
- Healthcare Insurance
- Healthcare Infrastructure
- Healthcare Financing
- Research & Development
- Clinical Trials
- Intellectual Property Regime
- Market Access Issues
- Pricing Regime
- Table: Turkish Pharmaceutical Pricing Decrees
- Reimbursement Regime
- Table: Pharmacist Discount Related To Annual Sales Revenue (VAT Excluded)
- Pharmaceutical Sector
- Domestic Industry
- Foreign Industry
- Company Activity
- Pharmaceutical Retail Sector
- Abdi Ibrahim
- Eczacibasi Healthcare
- Sanovel Pharmaceuticals
- EastPharma (Deva)
- Mustafa Nevzat Ilac Sanayi (MN) Pharmaceuticals
Full Table of Contents is available at:
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.