2012-10-26 14:15:05 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "United Kingdom Petrochemicals Report Q4 2012", is now available at Fast Market Research
The Q412 UK petrochemicals report examines recent trends in the British chemicals and petrochemicals industries and warns that the decline in competitiveness at a time of economic recession will lead to permanent capacity closures.
The report examines the effects of the eurozone crisis coupled with increased competition from Asia and the Middle East, opening the way for the UK to be increasingly import dependent in any future economic recovery. Furthermore, BMI analyses the growth and risk management strategies being employed by the leading players in the sector, as they respond to capacity cuts in refining and volatility in naphtha feedstock supply.
In H112, the UK's chemicals and chemical products index saw a steady decline as the country headed into recession. BMI estimates
that chemicals output declined by 5.5% year-on-year (y-o-y) in Q212 and the situation has deteriorated markedly since. The trends were in line with BMI's expectations of a double-dip recession in the chemical industry and with broader economic trends. BMI does not preclude the possibility of a return to 2010 rates of output or worse, with the recovery seen in 2011 wiped out. The size of the impact of a downturn on the chemicals industry will depend on the strength of pound sterling and the weakness of export markets.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/464480_united_kingdom_petrochemicals_report_ ..
BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
* Overall trends in manufacturing and exports point to a slump in output over the rest of 2012. Coupled with refinery capacity closure that will impact on domestic naphtha availability, there is a threat that the recession will have a long-term impact on the British chemicals industry.
* With surplus capacity likely to be a feature across Europe in 2012, the UK's competitiveness will determine the size of contraction; BMI envisages a decline in competitiveness in the labour force as well as a steady appreciation of the pound sterling against the euro.
* Naphtha prices have been volatile and temporary weakening oil prices are not being passed on through the downstream value chain; British producers are likely to remain sceptical of any talk of a sustainable downtrend in feedstock costs.
* The UK scores 72.0 points in BMI's latest Western Europe risk/reward ratings, with a score that has gone unchanged since Q212. The country holds fourth place in the ratings, coming in 0.4 points behind the Netherlands and 1.0 point ahead of Belgium.
Report Table of Contents:
- UK Political SWOT
- UK Economic SWOT
- UK Business Environment SWOT
Global Petrochemicals Overview
- Petrochemicals Market Overview
- Table: World Ethylene Production By Country, 2011 And 2016 ('000 tonnes capacity)
- Financial Results
- Table: Financial Results - Major Petrochemicals Companies, 2011
- Global Oil Products Price Outlook
- Table: BMI Oil Price Forecasts, 2011-2016
Europe Market Overview
United Kingdom Market Overview
- Sector Overview
- Competitive Landscape
Industry Trends And Developments
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: United Kingdom - Petrochemicals Sector, 2008-2016
Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings
- UK Petrochemicals Risk/Rewards Ratings
- Table: Western Europe Petrochemicals Risk/Reward Ratings
- Economic Activity I
- Table: United Kingdom - Economic Activity, 2011-2016
- Economic Activity II
- ExxonMobil Chemical
- Shell Chemicals UK
Glossary Of Terms
- Table: Glossary Of Petrochemicals Terms
- Table: The United Kingdom's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: The United Kingdom's Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: The United Kingdom's Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: The United Kingdom's Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Chemicals And Petrochemicals Industry
- Cross Checks
- Business Environment Ratings
- Table: Petrochemicals Business Environment Indicators And Rationale
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.