2012-09-03 14:12:36 - Fast Market Research recommends "United Kingdom Tourism Report Q4 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
The UK Tourism Report examines the long-term potential offered by the country's tourism industry, but also highlights that the weakness of the euro may put downward pressure on inbound arrivals from Europe, which is the UK's main source market. A great number of visitors will be travelling to the UK to attend or be a part of the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics in London. While tourism in 2012 will increase due to the amount of people from around the world attending the games - BMI forecasts 35.08mn tourist arrivals in 2012 - arrivals are also forecast to increase following the events. The 'legacy effect' of the games, thanks to the media exposure and publicity associated with the Olympics (eg: 3.9bn
people watched the games in Sydney in 2000) can last for up to a decade following the event. According to research by the national tourism agency VisitBritain, VisitLondon and Oxford Economics, in the postgames period in 2013-2017, a legacy effect of GBP1.27bn is forecast for the UK and of GBP0.88bn for London.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/451266_united_kingdom_tourism_report_q4_2012 ..
UK transport group Stobart has expanded Southend Airport, which is a 50-minute train ride from London, into another feeder for the capital. The group is hoping to capitalise on the increase in air traffic associated with the Olympic Games. Stobart has completed the construction of a new railway station, control tower and runway extension, while the airport hotel construction is expected to be complete in August. Stobart forecasts Air Arann to carry 300,000 passengers a year to Southend. In April, easyJet began flights from the airport.
After dropping in 2009 to US$27.13mn, tourist expenditure started to climb back up in 2010, reaching US$29.54mn by the end of the year. BMI calculates expenditure by tourists in the UK to continue to increase, from US$31.94mn in 2011 to US$32.92 in 2012, before reaching over US$43mn by 2016. Also forecast to increase is tourism expenditure's contribution to the UK's GDP. In 2010, tourism expenditure accounted for 2.03% of GDP. It was 2.08% in 2011 but is expected to drop to 2.07% in 2012. It is then forecast to increase to 2.32% by 2016.
Europe is the UK's main regional source market for inbound tourism. The region is projected to account for 25.30mn tourists in 2011 and 26.99mn in 2012. This is predicted to increase to 34.84mn by 2016. In second and third place are North America and the Asia Pacific region. In 2012, 4.41mn tourists are expected to visit the UK from North America, while 3.86mn will come from Asia Pacific. By 2016, Asia Pacific arrivals are forecast to outpace North American arrivals at 5.10mn compared to 4.49mn.
The UK hotel industry is forecast to grow. Despite the recession, though for some hoteliers because of it, operators are expanding in the UK. The country's largest hotel operator, Whitbread, plans to add another 22,000 rooms by 2016. A third Four Seasons hotel is scheduled to open in 2014 in London and the budget hotel chain Travelodge is building 13 new hotels in and around major cities, including four in the London area.
Report Table of Contents:
- UK Tourism SWOT
- UK Political SWOT
- UK Economic SWOT
- UK Business Environment SWOT
Industry Forecast Scenario
- Table: Arrivals, 2009-2016
- Table: Hotels Data, 2009-2016 ('000, unless stated)
- Table: Tourist Expenditure, 2009-2016
- Inbound Tourism
- Table: Inbound Tourism, 2009-2016
- Outbound Tourism
- Table: Outbound Tourism, 2009-2016
Market Overview - Travel
- Global Oil Products Price Outlook
- Table: BMI Oil Price Forecasts, 2011-2016
Market Overview - Hospitality
Security Risk Analysis
- BMI's Security Ratings
- Table: Europe Security Risk Ratings
- Table: Europe State Terrorism Vulnerability To Terrorism Index
- Europe Security Overview
- Political Risk Analysis - The Strategic Outlook For The 2010s
- Europe In A Global Context
- Europe's Key Security Issues Over The Coming Decade
- What If The Eurozone Collapses? Political Risks Assessed
- Table: Global Assumptions, 2010-2016
- Table: Global And Regional Real GDP Growth, 2010-2013 (% chg y-o-y)
- Table: Developed Market Exchange Rates, 2010-2013
- Table: Emerging Market Exchange Rates, 2010-2013
- Developed States
- Table: Developed States Real GDP Growth Forecasts, 2010-2013 (% chg y-o-y)
- Emerging Markets
- Table: Emerging Markets Real GDP Growth, 2010-2013 (% chg y-o-y)
- British Airways
- Thomas Cook
- Table: Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: Rural/Urban Population Split, 1990-2020
- How We Generate Our Industry Forecasts
- Tourism Industry
- Tourism Ratings - Methodology
- Table: Tourism Risk/Reward Ratings Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Components
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.