2013-02-22 14:10:07 - Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "United States Telecommunications Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
Executive Summary BMI View: The US mobile market is one of the world leaders in terms of new technologies and advancements. The first commercial US LTE network took place in 2010, and market leader Verizon now accounts for around 50% of LTE subscribers in the world. As a result, US mobile operators have retained high ARPU figures. With the release of the LTE-compatible iPhone 5, we expect the data services market to experience a strong boom in 2013, buoying up revenues for the main operators which offer the popular handset.
* BMI estimates the mobile market in the US reached 324.55mn subscribers at the end of Q312. This is a year-on-year (y-o-y) increase of 4.3%. The number of net
additions in the year ended September 2012 was 13.440mn.
* BMI estimates there were around 97.808mn fixed telephony subscribers in the market at the end of Q312. All operators reported declines y-o-y. AT&T had the largest market share, 36.6%, with 35.8mn subscribers.
* The broadband market reached 91.5mn in Q312 according to BMI estimates.
Full Report Details at
- www.fastmr.com/prod/536590_united_states_telecommunications_repo ..
Key Trends & Developments
* T-Mobile USA had upgraded its network infrastructure to HSPA+ in 18 total markets as of December 11 2012. In transforming its network capabilities, T-Mobile hopes to stabilise a declining market position by retaining its existing subscriber base. T-Mobile is taking longer to upgrade services to the US' biggest cities, and is falling behind its main competitors in rolling out 4G services. The upgrade is not expected to be completed until mid-2013, and therefore, BMI does not think this network advancement will have a major impact on the market.
* Satellite TV operator DISH Network may be close to brokering a spectrum-sharing deal with Sprint Nextel that would allow the company to build and launch a nationwide 4G mobile broadband network. Such a deal require regulatory approval, but would remove many of the potential legal barriers expected to have forestalled DISH's ambitious plans. While BMI welcomes the prospects of additional competition in the US' 4G market, we caution that Sprint has a chequered history of partnering with third parties - particularly pay-TV operators - in the mobile space and that we expect a bumpy ride ahead for DISH in establishing its new offering.
* T-Mobile USA and Crown Castle International Corporation (CCI) completed a deal on November 30 2012, wherein CCI will exclusively lease and operate 7,200 T-Mobile transmitter towers over an average 28-year period for an immediate cash consideration of US$2.4bn. CCI will also have the right to acquire the towers at the end of the respective lease terms.
Report Table of Contents:
BMI Industry View
- Business Environment
- Table: Table: Telecoms Sector - Mobile - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Table: Telecoms Sector - Fixed Line - Historical Data & Forecasts
- Table: Table: Telecoms Sector - Internet - Historical Data & Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Developed States
- Table: Developed Markets Risk/Reward Ratings, Q113
- United States
- Fixed Line
- Table: US Local Voice Market, Q212-Q312
- Bundled Services
- Table: US Pay-TV Market Q112-Q312
- Eighth Broadband Report Released
- Connect America Fund
- Table: Table: US Broadband Market Q112-Q312
- Connection Types
- Table: Connections Over 200kbps In At Least One Direction, By Technology
- Table: Table: Wireline Developments
- Regional Perspective
- Table: US Mobile Market Regional Comparisons, 2011
- Key Developments
- Market Growth
- Table: US Mobile Market, Q312
- Table: US Mobile Market Net Additions, Q112-Q312
- Subscriber Mix
- Table: US Mobile Network Operator Subscriber Mix, Q312
- Table: US Mobile Market Blended ARPU, Q411-Q312
- Mobile Network Contracts
- Table: Selected Mobile Contract Wins
- Mobile Content
- Mobile Operator Data
- Table: Wireless Market Overview
- Table: Verizon Wireless
- Table: AT&T
- Table: Sprint Nextel
- Table: Enter table header
- Table: US Cellular
- Table: MetroPCS
- Table: Leap Wireless
- Table: Cincinnati Bell Wireless
- Table: Ntelos
Industry Trends And Developments
- Regulatory Environment
- Table: Regulatory Bodies And Their Responsibilities
- Market Structure
- Table: US Telecoms Sector Key Players
- Sprint Nextel
- T-Mobile USA
- United States Demographic Data
- Table: The United States' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 ('000)
- Table: The United States' Population By Age Group, 1990-2020 (% of total)
- Table: The United States' Key Population Ratios, 1990-2020
- Table: The United States' Rural And Urban Population, 1990-2020
- Table: Glossary Of Terms
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.