2013-02-20 08:29:21 - Fast Market Research recommends "Vietnam Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
BMI View: Corruption will continue to affect Vietnam's pharmaceutical and healthcare business environment and potentially delay the introduction of universal healthcare coverage for its people. While corruption is a clear downside risk, we maintain that the sector still offers strong growth opportunities for foreign investors. www.fastmr.com/prod/536602_vietnam_pharmaceuticals_healthcare_re ..
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: VND50,081bn (US$2.43bn) in 2011 to VND61,910bn (US$2.94bn) in 2012; +23.6% in local currency terms and +21.4% in US dollar terms.
* Healthcare: VND157, 666bn (US$7.63bn) in 2011 to VND181,879bn (US$8.65bn) in 2012; +15.4% in local currency terms and +13.3% in US dollar terms.
* Medical devices: VND15,137bn (US$733mn) in 2011 to VND17,029bn (US$810mn) in 2012; +12.5% in local currency terms and +10.5% in US dollar terms.
Full Report Details at
Risk/Reward Rating: In this update of our RRRs, we highlight an improvement in ranking for Vietnam from 12th in Q412 to 11th in Q113 out of the 18 key markets in the region, primarily due to an improvement in its own RRR. In Q113, Vietnam's RRR is 49.3, which is a 6.5% increase from Q412's 46.3. This is due to the upgrade in pharmaceutical spending following the receipt of new data from the Ministry of Health.
Key Trends And Developments
* Several private healthcare investors are now eyeing Vietnam's private healthcare market. In August, Philippines-based United Laboratories partnered with Hi Precision Diagnostics to set up a clinic specialising in diagnosis and medical tests in Ho Chi Minh City. In addition, an agreement was signed in June between Dai An Industrial Park's developer and Canada-based Trip Eye Company to construct a 200-room hospital worth US$160mn.
* In November 2012, as a precautionary measure, the Drug Administration of Vietnam announced the recall of Typhim Vi typhoid vaccine by Sanofi Pasteur, a pre-filled syringe and 20-dose vials. The vaccine met all requirements at the time of distribution, yet some lots were discovered to have an antigen content that was lower than the established minimum level in some pre-filled syringes.
* Vietnam records more than 3,500 new cases of Nasopharyngeal Cancer (NPC) and about 2,700 people die due to the disease each year. NPC is one of the 10 most common cancers and the fifth most common type of cancer among males in the country. NPC's first symptom is a lump in the neck, while some of the other symptoms are loss of hearing; ear infections; nosebleeds; headaches; and facial cramps or numbness. The disease can be treated with new developments in the medical sector, provided early detection and diagnosis are carried out for the disease.
BMI Economic View: Recent economic data have reinforced our bullish outlook for the Vietnamese economy to expand at a robust pace of 7.0% in 2013. However, we expect growth to be highly uneven at the industry level, with the banking and property sectors likely to experience a weak recovery. Meanwhile, we foresee a strong pickup in retail sector growth as pent up domestic demand recovers. We also see the manufacturing sector benefiting from a pickup in demand from China as we head into 2013.
BMI Political View: Vietnam's biggest political question over the coming decade is whether one-party rule under the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) will face growing calls for democratisation, as was the case in other major South East Asian countries. While our core scenario envisages the CPV transforming itself into a technocratic administration, it faces major economic challenges which if mismanaged could lead to widespread unrest. On the foreign policy front, we expect an increasingly powerful China to drive Vietnam further into the camp of Asian nations with close relations with the US.
About Business Monitor International
Business Monitor International (BMI) offers a comprehensive range of products and services designed to help senior executives, analysts and researchers assess and better manage operating risks, and exploit business opportunities, across 175 markets. BMI offers three main areas of expertise: Country Risk BMI's country risk and macroeconomic forecast portfolio includes weekly financial market reports, monthly regional Monitors, and in-depth quarterly Business Forecast Reports. Industry Analysis BMI covers a total of 17 industry verticals through a portfolio of services, including in-depth quarterly Country Forecast Reports. View more research from Business Monitor International at www.fastmr.com/catalog/publishers.aspx?pubid=1010
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. We represent the world's top research publishers and analysts and provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at www.fastmr.com
or call us at 1.800.844.8156.